Digital Accessibility Specialist Job Description
DIGITAL ACCESSIBILITY SPECIALIST (PART-TIME)
Able South Carolina (Able SC) is South Carolina’s premier organization promoting disability rights, independence, and equity for individuals with disabilities. Serving throughout the state, Able SC promotes individual leadership, creative teamwork, and cultivates a shared pride in the future of an inclusive state.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Digital Accessibility Specialist is responsible for performing a variety of digital accessibility assessments to increase digital access for people with disabilities. The selected person will audit websites & web applications and test user interfaces against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), as well as provide consultation about how to most effectively implement remediations. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of WCAG success criteria and how to test for them, technical experience working with HTML and CSS, possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and have strong attention to detail. The Digital Accessibility Specialist must be detail-oriented and enjoy working in a fast paced and results driven environment. This position is under the direct delegation of the Director of Community Access.
Location: Remote within South Carolina
Hours: Part-time, temporary, 20 hours per week
- Serve as an advocate for the rights of people with disabilities.
- Perform outreach for Able Access digital accessibility programs.
- Maintain relationships with organizational clients to drive interest in increased accessibility and disability engagement.
- Audit and test websites and web apps for WCAG conformance through both manual tests and automated tools.
- Provide technical guidance so that accessibility barriers are removed from current or new UI components.
- Deliver audit results to clients with detailed findings and guidance to support improved accessibility.
- Support Community Access Team in the provision of technical assistance to governmental, non-profit, and for-profit organizations.
- Assist with identifying community needs and opportunities to improve community access and grow Able South Carolina’s reach in digital accessibility.
- Implement assigned programs and activities.
- Document program activities via reporting and data entry.
- Carry out additional assignments in a timely manner.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (With or without reasonable accommodations):
- Web testing experience.
- Knowledgeable about digital and web accessibility standards including WCAG 2.0 and
- WAI-ARIA and impacts on user experience (UX).
- Understanding of web accessibility laws such as the ADA, Section 508, and state-/industry-specific guidelines.
- Experience with keyboard testing.
- Proficient in the use of at least one screen reader (JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, etc).
- Familiarity with automated testing tools (WAVE by WebAim, Axe, SortSite, etc).
- Personal maturity, motivation, attention to detail, strong relationship skills, and a commitment to excellence in all aspects of work and time spent on behalf of the organization.
- Ability to conduct web assessments in a thorough and timely manner.
- Literacy with respect to the use of all organizational equipment including computers and telephones.
- Knowledge of customer service principles & practices.
- Knowledge of disability rights and Independent Living philosophy.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form.
- Working knowledge of Assistive Technology and related resources.
- Certifications through the International Association of Accessibility Professionals such as CPACC, WAS, CPABE, ADS, CPWA
- Project Management: The planning and organization skills to complete a specific task or activity.
- Attention to detail: Ability to process information with high level of accuracy.
- Creative problem Solver: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult accessibility issues.
- Works Independently: The ability to complete tasks without continual supervision or direction from others. Being able to think effectively and trouble on your own.
- Adaptable: Having the flexibility to juggle multiple tasks at once.
- Excellent Communication Skills: Ability to present ideas clearly and effectively in all forms of communication.
- Technology Savvy: Stays informed about the most recent technology and assistive technology for communication to ensure accessibility of content.
- Technical Skills: pursues ongoing development opportunities and shares experience with others.
- Dependable: Punctual and completes all duties assigned.
- Team Player: The ability to work with others towards a common goal
- Professionalism: The state or practice of doing one's job with skill, competence, ethics and courtesy.
- Time Management: The practice of using available time in an effective way through a process of organizing/planning how much time to spend on specific activities.
- Multi-Tasking in high pressure: Ability to work on multi projects in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines. Demonstrates skills in speed, flexibility, and adaptability under pressure.
- Goal-oriented: Ability to stay focused to accomplish goals.
- Customer Relations: Demonstrates skills to develop and manage strong relationships with customers.
- Integrity/Honesty: Foster a high standard of ethics and instill mutual trust and confidence.
- Ethical: Serving with integrity and respect in personal and organizational practices by holding self and staff accountable for their actions.
Able South Carolina is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender, age, disability, religion, or national origin.
**People with disabilities are encouraged to apply**
To apply: Send cover letter and resume electronically to Sara Marin at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.