Independent Living Specialist Job Description
Able South Carolina (Able SC) is South Carolina’s premier organization promoting disability rights, independence, and equity for individuals with disabilities. Serving throughout the state, Able SC promotes individual leadership, creative teamwork, and cultivates a shared pride in the future of an inclusive state.
Able SC offers a competitive salary with benefits including health, dental, vision, life, Employee Assistance Program, and contribution to a retirement plan. Paid leave includes vacation, sick leave, and 18 holidays annually.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The purpose of this position is to empower individuals with disabilities to reach their highest level of independence. Functions of the position are in direct delegation of the Lead Independent Living Specialist.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate IL Philosophy
- Serve as an advocate for the rights of people with disabilities
- Disseminate knowledge of IL philosophy to staff, consumers, and the community at large
- Protect consumer and agency information by adhering to confidentiality standards
- Provide Information and Referral Services
- Acquire and refer to community resources
- Update the agencies resource database with new resources
- Provide follow-up necessary to complete information requests
- Provide Advocacy Services
- Advocate for consumer choice and consumer-driven focuses in all situations
- Advocate with consumers to educate and support their interests, needs, and rights
- Prepare and participate in consumer-related meetings
- Show awareness of and participate in systems advocacy
- Provide Peer Support Services
- Provide and coordinate monthly peer support
- Provide Independent Living Skills Training
- Assess independent living needs/requests
- Provide independent living skills training
- Provide Civil Rights Awareness Services
- Keep current on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other legislation’s rules and regulations affecting people with disabilities
- Director of Community Access – Independent Living Specialist
- Provide public information regarding the ADA and other related issues
- Be active in disability focused committees and work groups
- Support Consumers in the Development of Independent Living Plans
- Offer IL Plan development with all consumers indicating goals
- Maintain case files and database system with updated information on each consumer
- Provide coordination, follow along and support for individuals with active cases
- Provide support for goal development and keep required documentation
- Employ Professional Judgment and Continue Professional Development
- Participation in staff meetings, workgroups and committees
- Identify and participate in trainings to advance knowledge and skills
- Carry out additional assignments as delegated by supervisors in a timely manner
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or other related field. An equivalent combination of education and personal experience with disabilities may be substituted for the college degree.
- At least two years of documented experience working with persons with disabilities or personal experience with a disability required.
- Knowledge of disability rights and IL philosophy required.
- Knowledge of the service system, benefits, entitlements and supports utilized by people with disabilities.
- Experience with working in teams to accomplish goals
- Working knowledge of community resources available to people with disabilities
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must be able to operate a computer
- Knowledge of assistive technology and related resources
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience and qualifications HOURS: 40 hours per week; full benefits
**People with disabilities are encouraged to apply**
To apply: Send cover letter and resume electronically to Sara Marin at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.