What is AmeriCorps?
Often times described as the domestic Peace Corps, AmeriCorps programs help communities address locally-defined challenges by mobilizing America’s greatest asset, its citizens. There are full- and part-time AmeriCorps positions available across South Carolina that engage dedicated leaders from age 17 to 117+ who will commit to utilizing their skill, experience, and passion to address needs in their communities.
- AmeriCorps is the federal agency for national service. AmeriCorps provides opportunities for Americans of all backgrounds to serve their country, address the nation’s most pressing challenges, and improve lives and communities.
Our Mission: To improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering.
AmeriCorps Openings at Able:
We are currently enrolling for the 2023-2024 Service Year! Fill out the interest form to learn more.
Our member roles focus on direct service to our consumers. We help our consumers reach their goals through skill building, peer support, finding and navigating resources, and more!
Benefits of Service:
The benefits that individuals serving with an AmeriCorps SC program are eligible to receive are listed below.
- Receive a living allowance to cover basic expenses during your service term.
Money for College and Trade School
- The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is offered to individuals who complete a term of service and can be used to pay for a range of educational expenses, like repaying qualified student loans or future tuition payments. You can earn up to two full Education Awards with multiple service terms.
Loan Deferment and Interest Forbearance
- Individuals in approved AmeriCorps positions are eligible for forbearance for most federally guaranteed student loans. In addition, interest payments that accrue during service may be eligible for repayment by AmeriCorps.
- Jump-start your career and gain transferable skills employers value including leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving. Once you complete your service, leverage the Employers of National Service Network, which connects you with hundreds of employers from the private, public, and nonprofit sectors who are committed to hiring alumni.
- Join a network of like-minded leaders who are passionate about improving communities. AmeriCorps alumni receive access to special benefits and resources. For example, many colleges and universities match the Education Award and offer additional AmeriCorps scholarships.