Youth Transition Specialist Job Description
Able South Carolina (Able SC) is South Carolina’s premier organization promoting disability rights, independence, and equity for individuals with disabilities. Serving throughout the state, Able SC promotes individual leadership, creative teamwork, and cultivates a shared pride in the future of an inclusive state.
Able SC offers a competitive salary with benefits including health, dental, vision, life, Employee Assistance Program, and contribution to a retirement plan. Paid leave includes vacation, sick leave and 18 holidays annually.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The purpose of this position is to empower young adults with disabilities for a successful transition to adulthood through classroom activities and one-on-one skill-building. Functions of the position are in direct delegation of the Upstate Pre-Employment Transition Services Coordinator.
TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Location: Columbia, SC
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week.
Salary Range: Based on experience and qualifications.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Assist youth with disabilities in reaching and maintaining their highest level of independence through individualized skills training
- Teach empowerment, self-advocacy, and disability pride to youth in individual and group settings
- Mentor youth and provide opportunities for growth and leadership
- Provide information and support to assist clients in achieving stated goals and/or refer the client to appropriate resources
- Establish and maintain relationships with community partners
- Work with individuals to develop Independent Living Plans
- Maintain all required documentation
- Report on successes, progress toward grant goals, and program activities
- Assist with developing engaging, age appropriate curriculum for students to prepare them for transition into adulthood
- Deliver education and awareness within our communities through public speaking engagements regarding disability rights and etiquette
- Participate actively in Systems Advocacy
- Keep current on issues and laws affecting people with disabilities
- Carry out additional assignments as delegated by supervisors in a timely manner
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Computer literacy
- Professional Social Skills
- Disability Rights knowledge
- Knowledge of Community Resources
- Ethical, Integrity, Honesty
- Emotional Intelligence
- Interpersonal Skills
- Personal Accountability/Self-Motivated
- Clarity in Communication
- Attentive to details, high accuracy
- Time management/skilled at prioritizing tasks
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Creates a positive work environment; good team player
- Works independently
- Ability to Motivate Others
- Social/Field Intelligence
- Prudent/Sound Judgment
- Conflict Management/De-escalation
- Results Driven
- Commitment to Growth/Excellence
- Problem Solving/Multi-dimensional Thinker/Analytical
- Stamina/Ability to finish long-term projects
- Project Management
- Confident and Engaging
- Partnership Building/Trust
- Interdepartmental knowledge/understands programs & services
- Knowledge of government politics and trends in the disability community
- Public Speaking/Presentation Skills
- Provides consumer driven services
- Demonstrates proficiency with cross-disability
Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, sociology, or other related fields. Knowledge and experience with the Independent Living Philosophy is a plus. Solid computer and writing skills are necessary. Personal motivation and maturity are a must. Able South Carolina is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, religion, or national origin. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Preferred qualifications: Fluent in American Sign Language and/or Spanish.
Able South Carolina is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender, age, disability, religion, or national origin.
**People with disabilities are encouraged to apply**
To apply: Send cover letter and resume electronically to Sara Marin at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.