Office Assistant Job Description
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Part Time)
Able South Carolina (Able SC) is South Carolina’s premier organization promoting disability
rights, independence, and equity for individuals with disabilities. Serving throughout the
state, Able SC promotes individual leadership, creative teamwork, and cultivates a shared
pride in the future of an inclusive state.
Purpose of the position
The Office Assistant is responsible for performing a wide range of clerical and administrative tasks to support daily operations throughout the office. The position is in direct delegation of the Senior Vice President & Chief Operating Officer.
Location: Two open positions– Columbia & Greenville
Hours: 20 Hours Per Week
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Essential Job Functions (with or without reasonable accommodations):
- Serve as the first point of contact for callers and visitors.
- Effectively communicates the organization’s mission, programs, and services to
callers and visitors.
- Sorts and distributes mail throughout the office and prepares office mailings.
- Maintain order and organization of the office environment.
- Keep inventory of office supplies and ensure supplies are stocked.
- Makes copies of organizational documents and presentations.
- Prints and assembles event or program kits.
- Provide administrative support to staff as needed.
- Make reminder phone calls to consumers.
- Assists with Able SC’s assistive technology program including coordinating
donations and distribution.
- Maintains necessary files; sorts, files and retrieves necessary documents as
- Assists with data entry and database maintenance.
- Carry out additional assignments as delegated in a timely manner.
Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures. Personal maturity, motivation,
attention to detail, strong relationship skills, and a commitment to excellence in all aspects
of work and time spent on behalf of the organization. Able South Carolina is an equal
opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age,
disability, religion, or national origin. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Office Administration
- Computer literacy
- Literacy with respect to the use of all organizational equipment including
computers, photocopiers, telephones, and postage meters
- Knowledge of Customer Service principles & practices
- At least two years of documented experience working with persons with disabilities
or personal experience with a disability required.
- Knowledge of disability rights and IL philosophy required.
- Knowledge of the service system, benefits, entitlements and supports utilized by
people with disabilities.
- Experience with facilitating teams and accomplishing goals
- Experience in the delivery of presentations and training to groups required
- Working knowledge of community resources available to people with disabilities
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form
- Knowledge of Assistive Technology and related resources
- Independent Thinking: Make independent decisions on a daily basis to address the
best way to handle specific tasks.
- Professionalism: The state or practice of doing one's job with skill, competence,
ethics and courtesy
- Personal Accountability/Self-motivated: The willingness to answer for or be
accountable for outcomes resulting from your choices, behaviors and actions/being
driven by one's own desires, interests, or ambitions.
- Clarity in Communication: The quality or state of being clear in communicating
with an intended audience.
- Interpersonal skills: The capabilities to effectively communicate, socialize, connect
and cooperate with other people.
- Adept in Technology: Uses computer and other technology optimally to perform
job tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and commitment within a team to achieve goals
- Resourceful: Ability to figure out how to get over, around, or through barriers to
- Attention to Detail: Extremely careful in addressing all aspects of each work
assignment in order to produce excellent work and avoid any negative outcomes.
- Demonstrates proficiency with cross-disability: Competency supporting and
providing services for individuals with a wide range of significant disabilities.
- Organization Awareness: Ability to use knowledge of the workings, structure and
culture of the organization to solve problems and accomplish goals.
- Time Management: Uses available time in an effective way through a process of
organizing/planning how much time to spend on specific activities.
- Reliable: Demonstrates a high level of dependability in all aspects of the job.
- Discretion: Ability to keep private information confidential.
- Information/Records Administration: Ability to compile, assimilate, organize,
and analyze printed and electronic information.
Able South Carolina is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on
race, gender, age, disability, religion, or national origin.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.