Office Assistant Job Description
Able South Carolina (Able SC) is South Carolina’s premier organization promoting disability rights, independence, and equity for individuals with disabilities. Serving throughout the state, Able SC promotes individual leadership, creative teamwork, and cultivates a shared pride in the future of an inclusive state.
Purpose of the position: The Office Assistant is responsible for performing a wide range of clerical and administrative tasks to support daily operations throughout the office, with an emphasis on supporting the Information and Referral department. The position is in direct delegation of the Director of Information and Referral.
TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Location: Greenville, SC
Hours: 16 Hours Per Week
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Essential Job Functions (with or without reasonable accommodations):
Front Desk Duties
- Serves as the first point of contact for callers and visitors. Assists with directing visitors and walk-ins. Answers incoming calls, emails, and requests in a polite and professional manner.
- Sorts and distributes mail throughout the office and prepares office mailings.
- Maintains order and organization of the office environment.
- Communicates with building, janitorial, and IT staff as needed to address problems.
- Makes copies of organizational documents and presentations.
- Keeps inventory of office supplies and ensures supplies are stocked.
- Prints and assembles event or program kits.
- Provide administrative support to staff as needed.
- Maintains necessary files; sorts, files and retrieves necessary documents as needed.
Information and Referral Duties
- Effectively communicate the organization’s mission, programs, and services to callers and visitors.
- Completes or assists with intake forms when the I&R Specialist is unavailable or as needed.
- Shares, mails, or emails quick resources to I&R or callers.
- Assists with researching resources and updating the database as needed
- Collects accurate information about callers or requests, promptly refers requests to the appropriate departments within Able SC, and follows standardized procedures when sending requests.
- Logs call into the phone log as needed.
- Inputs data into database system while recording accurate, detailed notes into our database system.
- Uploads necessary paperwork or documentation as needed.
- Assists with Able SC’s assistive technology program, including coordinating donations and distribution.
- Assists with updating and organizing AT inventory.
- Assists with data entry and database maintenance.
- Carry out additional assignments as delegated in a timely manner.
Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures. Personal maturity, motivation, attention to detail, strong relationship skills, and a commitment to excellence in all aspects of work and time spent on behalf of the organization.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Office Administration
- Computer literacy
- Literacy with respect to the use of all organizational equipment including computers, photocopiers, telephones, and postage meters
- Knowledge of Customer Service principles & practices
- At least two years of documented experience working with persons with disabilities or personal experience with a disability is required.
- Knowledge of disability rights and IL philosophy is required.
- Knowledge of the service system, benefits, entitlements, and supports utilized by people with disabilities.
- Experience with working in teams to accomplish goals.
- Working knowledge of community resources available to people with disabilities
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form
- Ability to document, record, and maintain comprehensive and accurate records and notes
- Knowledge of Assistive Technology (AT) and related resources
- Independent Thinking: Make independent decisions on a daily basis to address the best way to handle specific tasks.
Professionalism: The state or practice of doing one's job with skill, competence, ethics and courtesy.
- Personal Accountability/Self-motivated: The willingness to answer for or be accountable for outcomes resulting from your choices, behaviors and actions/being driven by one's own desires, interests, or ambitions.
- Clarity in Communication: The quality or state of being clear in communicating with an intended audience.
- Interpersonal skills: The capabilities to effectively communicate, socialize, connect and cooperate with other people.
- Adept in Technology: Uses computer and other technology optimally to perform job tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and commitment within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
- Resourceful: Ability to figure out how to get over, around, or through barriers to success.
- Attention to Detail: Extremely careful in addressing all aspects of each work assignment in order to produce excellent work and avoid any negative outcomes.
- Demonstrates proficiency with cross-disability: Competency supporting and providing services for individuals with a wide range of significant disabilities.
- Organization Awareness: Ability to use knowledge of the workings, structure and culture of the organization to solve problems and accomplish goals.
- Time Management: Uses available time in an effective way through a process of organizing/planning how much time to spend on specific activities.
- Reliable: Demonstrates a high level of dependability in all aspects of the job.
- Discretion: Ability to keep private information confidential.
- Information/Records Administration: Ability to compile, assimilate, organize, and analyze printed and electronic information.
Able South Carolina is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender, age, disability, religion, or national origin.